Open Access Open Access  Restricted Access Subscription Access

Quality of sleep among post menopausal women

Buvaneswari Ramakrishnan

Abstract


Background: Menopause is a time of major hormonal, physical and psychological change for women. Sleep disturbances are very common in menopausal women. Sleep disturbances among menopausal women have been ascribed to a number of factors e.g., normal physiological changes associated with aging, poor health perception, menopausal-related symptoms, nervousness, stress, mood symptoms (e.g. depression and anxiety), and co morbid chronic health issues. Besides these biological and chronobiological factors, socioeconomic, psychosocial, cultural, and race/ethnic factors might also play an interacting role between the sleep and menopause.
Methodology: Cross sectional descriptive survey design was used. Convenience sampling technique was used to select 89 post menopausal women residing in selected rural settings. Structured interview was used to collect the data using standardized tool-Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index (PSQI).
Results: The study results suggested that 32.5% of post-menopausal women were having good quality of sleep and remaining 67.5% of post-menopausal women have had poor quality of sleep. An association between socio-demographic variables like age, health history, surgical history, medication history and quality of sleep was found to be statistically significant.
Conclusion: The study concluded that majority of post-menopausal women were having poor quality of sleep and they need education on sleep hygiene.

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.